The preceptory was founded between 1185-8 as the most important house of the Templars on the Welsh border, and after the transfer to the Hospitallers post 1312 it continued as a hospice and preceptory. It was dissolved before 1535. The foundations of the former 12th century circular nave and late medieval porch were exposed in 1927 on the North side of the later St Michael's parish church, (see plan). The 14th century dovecote, built by the Knights Hospitallers, still exists at Church House Farm which occupies part of the site of the preceptory, (see SO42SE39). Part of the foundations, still visible in 1844, were removed to build the farm house.
Formerly detached north-west tower linked by passage to two-bay nave, two-bay chancel and south chapel; remains of former 12th century circular nave and late medieval porch exposed to north side of nave.