Churchill College, Cambridge University was founded in 1958 and is one of the 15 'new' colleges at the university founded between 1800 and 1977. It was founded by a Trust with Sir Winston Churchill as its Chairman of Trustees, to build and endow a college for 60 fellows and 540 Students as a national and Commonwealth memorial to Winston Churchill. The College, together with Clare College (Monument HOB UID 371417) and King's College (Monument HOB UID 371521) were the first Cambridge colleges to admit female students in 1972.
The college was built on a 42 acre farmland site to the west of the city centre. A competition to design the new college involved twenty architectural practices and was won by Richard Sheppard, Robson and Partners. Their design comprised nine main residential courts, separate graduate flats and a central building consisting of the dining hall, buttery, combination rooms and offices, had been built and completed by 1968. This design also includes the Wolfson Flats, graduate flats built in about 1965 but designed by David Roberts.
Additions to the college include the Churchill Archives Centre and The Møller Centre for Continuing Education. The Churchill Archives Centre, a purpose built archive centre, was constructed in 1973 to house Sir Winston Churchill’s papers, it now holds the papers of about 570 leading figures including politicians, engineers and scientists. The centre was refurbished and extended in 2002. The Møller Centre for Continuing Education, a residential executive training and conference centre, was designed by Henning Larsen and built in 1992. In plan view, the building resembles a ship, with an octagonal tower acting as the propeller, and the lecture theatre as the bridge. The centre's facilities include meeting rooms, and en-suite bedrooms. A study centre was added in 2007.