Little Moreton Hall is a moated late-medieval courtyard manor-house built from the early 15th century to circa 1600. It is one of the finest examples of a medieval moated manor house in England and is of outstanding historical interest.
The building's present appearance is the result of at least seven phases of building. The east wing was built before 1450 and included a great hall together with service rooms. The present great hall was built around 1450 and the former hall was converted into service rooms. In circa 1480 the west wing was built incorporating new service rooms, and creating an H-shaped plan. The former service range was converted to other uses. In 1559 bay windows were added to the hall and to the withdrawing room. Between 1559 and 1570 a further range was added to the east wing including the chapel. The south wing of three storeys, including the guests' hall and long gallery, was added around 1570-80 and a further range of service rooms were added to the north-western corner of this wing in circa 1600.
The hall is located on an island (c.70m x 50m), surrounded by a waterlogged moat (c.10m wide) with a low outer bank on its west side (c.2m wide x 0.2m high). A low sandstone bridge provides access to the island through a south gatehouse. Little Moreton Hall is a timber framed building with rendered infill and Flemish bond brick. It is two and three storeys high and has a stone slate roof. The building ranges are grouped around three sides of a courtyard. Although the main structure dates to the early 15th century to circa 1600, panelling was added in the 17th and 18th centuries and various windows in the 18th and 19th centuries.