You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The Cathedral Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie situated at the London parish of Southwark next to London Bridge. The cathedral has its origins in the Medieval Augustinian priory of St Mary Overie founded in 1106 (see HOB UID 404709). Most of the 12th century church was destroyed by fire in 1212 and rebuilding started during the 13th century. At the end of the 14th century the west front and the central tower were rebuilt and during the 15th century the parochial chapel east of the south transept was reconstructed. During the 19th century major renovation and alteration work took place. From 1818 until 1823 the choir and tower were restored by George Gwilt Junior. In 1830 Robert Wallace altered the transepts. In 1822 the parochial chapel was pulled down and in 1830 the chapel east of the retrochoir was removed. In 1833 Gwilt also restored the retrochoir. In 1838 the nave was pulled down to be replaced by Henry Rose in 1839 until 1840. From 1890 until 1897 the nave was again replaced by Sir Arthur W. Blomfield who chose a 13th century style. The church became an Anglican cathedral in 1905. It is cruciform in plan with north and south transepts with a central tower, a nave, a presbytery, an ambulatory at the east end and the Harvard Chapel attached to the east of the north transept. The church was built of knapped flint with stone dressing and tower and transepts were built of ashlar. To the east of the north transept is the so called Harvard Chapel commemorating John Harvard, who was born in Southwark in 1607 and who was baptised in the cathedral (then St. Saviour's Church). John Harvard emigrated to Massachusetts and endowed Harvard University. On the tri-centenary of his birth in 1907 the chapel was rededicated from Chapel of St John the Evangelist to Harvard Chapel financed by members of Harvard University.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.